Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Choosing the Right Hair Color


Hello, my friends!
This is my face.
And my hair.
What you may notice is that my hair is (indeed) a dark brown! I'll let you in on a little secret: this isn't my natural hair color!
Although the fact that I die my hair is actually a well known fact, feel special, because I am openly admitting to you that I am addicted to dying my hair.
I have stopped doing it mostly because my hair is becoming incredibly damaged but also because I want to try growing out my natural color to see what it looks like on me.

Now you may be wondering,"If she's stopped dying her hair, what in the world is she making a blog post about it for?"
Well my little question-ers, I am trying to help you out from the mistakes I have made over the past few years! I have had every color (besides the crazy ones, those aren't allowed at my school per dress code) from blonde to orange. I have seen it all on myself and have come to the conclusion that all of those online "guides" to choosing the correct hair color for you are all a bunch of whooie.

As a disclaimer, I am not nor have ever been a professional cosmetologist. I have not been trained in beauty but am just going off of my personal experience. 

Purple hair is absolutely
gorgeous when done right.
It is my personal opinion that a person should have whatever hair color/style they feel most comfortable in. Some people just feel like a blonde with bangs, or a redhead with a middle part. It's all about preference and how you want to express yo'self.

She has the prettiest hair. 
Another contributing factor is how you want others to see you. Although people say appearances don't matter, they most certainly do. If your personality is sweet and innocent and you want people to perceive you that way, it would seem counterproductive to shave your hair and dye your eyebrows pink. Choose a color/cut that represents you, not someone else.

If you don't want to make the full commitment
of dye, ombre/highlighting is a good option.
As much as I'd like to say skin tone and eye color don't matter, they do. Even though they in fact matter, I do not believe that they're as significant as the online guides make them out to be. 
Obviously if you're olive toned or darker you may want to stay away from the unnaturally light and yellow. Just as if you are in incredibly pale, black hair can make you appear ghostly. 
What the guides don't tell you is that you can go for a color as long as it's in moderation. If you're pale, rather than going jet black, go dark brown and it'll seem darker on you.

Random Tip: Black hair dye is extremely to difficult to get out of hair once you've dyed it. Be weary of that and make sure that you want black hair before you actually buy it and use it. I've been there, done that, and now it's incredibly difficult to lighten my hair. 

Another Tip: Deep Conditioner and Leave In conditioner are your friends. If you plan on dying your hair multiple times, attempt to use these at least once a week. Believe me, it will make a difference. 

Before I sign off to head to bed, I just want to leave you with one last thought. Explore all of the options. Before deciding on a color, head to the nearest Walgreens or CVS and peruse through the hair dye isle. Look at all of the different colors with an open mind, and who knows, you may find a color you could never even imagine pulling off. 

Happy Hair Styling!

-M 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment